This South America packing list should be suitable for all the countries and terrains you encounter.
This is actually the second time I’ve made a packing list for South America. Let’s hope I don’t get robbed this time and can actually use most of my stuff in the region.
Packing for any trip can turn into a kind of art form, as you squeeze and cram as much shit as possible into the smallest bag you have.
The best way is to make a list and then repack and reduce. In this way, I’ve made my South America packing list the smallest and most comfortable that it can be. I have everything I need for white sandy beaches up to the snowy Andes.
Remember anything that might be missing from the list you can also buy when you are there. Everything I have I can bring with me as carry-on luggage saving me time and hassle.
My large Backpack and its contents:
This is what I generally carry in my main bag, mainly clothes which I tend to wash at the end of the week or when they get really dirty.
- 1 x 45L Backpack-from companies such as The North Face or Osprey
- 1 x Pair of Hiking Boot
- 1 x Hiking Sandals
- 1 x personal medical kit
- 1 x Microfibre Towel
- 1 x light jacket
- 1 x toiletries bag (I’ll go into its contents next)
- 1 x plastic bag with spare cables/chargers (I tend to lose them)
- 1 x Cargo pants
- 1 x tracksuit bottoms
- 6 x underwear
- 3 x socks
- 2 x Hiking Socks
- 1 x swimming shorts
- 3 x shorts
- 5 x t-shirts
- 1 x long sleeve t-shirt
All items are airport security standard so I have no issues passing through.
- 1 x bottle shaving foam
- 1 x bottle conditioner/shampoo
- 1 x Electric razor
- 1 x toothbrush+toothpaste
- 1 x bottle of moisturizer
- 1 x Nail Clippers Set
- 1 x battery for razor
- a few spare ziplock bags
Packed like this mainly when I’m in transit. Otherwise, I have the gear I need for the day and the rest is put away safely in the hostel or wherever security might be.
- 1 x Waterproof Bag
- 1 x Lenovo laptop
- 1 x GoPro
- 1 x Smartphone
- 1 x GorillaPod
- 1 x Sunglasses
- 1 x journal
- 1 x In-ear headphones
- 1 x wallet
- 1 x passport/travel documents
- 1 x Travel wallet
- Charges for each of my devices
- 1 x laptop bag
- Memory Cards
- 1 x Padlock
- Obviously, when I’m out and about the contents of my bags change quite a bit. As I was robbed before I tend to keep my valuables as close to me as possible or use lockers. I hope my South America packing list comes in useful to you. Don’t forget your travel insurance.
If you like what you saw please feel free to pin it!